9.20.2007

Inspiring...

I just found this story about Randy Pausch, a CMU CS professor who got an incurable pancreatic cancer. Doctor said he's got only months to live, and yesterday he delivered the farewell lecture at McConomy auditorium. As a CMU alum, Impressive, I thought, but didn't care to find the video or anything.

Then, I found that the article's got over 3,000 diggs so I gave it a try and found his talk on YouTube. I initially intended to watch only one clip, but found myself couldn't stop watching ten high-quality clips that someone is kind enough to post. Although his talk was really humorous, I couldn't help crying. You can start with the intro part at the Post-Gazette video site here and continue the first part on YouTube below. Skip to part 6 if you just want to know what you can learn from his amazing life.


I kept telling people that the only disease that really scares me is cancer because the common ones that kill you like heart disease, diabetes, or strokes can be controlled if you take good care of yourself. Now, I realize that, instead of trying to avoid cancer, it's more important to avoid wasting your healthy time on nothing and losing opportunities doing good to the world and people we love.

Next, it's not wrong to have fun. All the Thai people are raised and taught in the way that we have to follow the rule and give elders respect. The classes we took are usually boring as the teachers tried to maintain their respectfulness. Instead, we should make the classes fun and students will gain trust in classes and pay attention. This is actually what my fiancee tries to tell me all the time, and my favorite professor did an amazing job teaching me.

Lastly, the best way to die is to see people crying for you, and you smile back to them and say "it's okay, everything's going to be all right". And when people just keep thanking you for what you've done and what you've left them. Of course not, I'm not talking about money here.

I hope his case can be similar to Steve Jobs's case. If so, hundreds and hundreds of people will be so lucky that their dreams can be fulfilled by this great man in the future. Professor Pausch, please don't give up. You told us not to.

No comments: