11.03.2007

Italian Wine of the Year - Straccali Chianti

I've never been into Italian wine. Most of the time, we had Chianti at Italian restaurants since they always carry it as house wine. My experience with Chianti hasn't been good - the ones I tried had very high acidity and tannin esp. the horrible one Buca di Beppo carries (probably I should stop eating there).

I found this Straccali at the grocery next to my place. It's in the "clearance tray" with $6 price tag for 1.5L bottle. Can't remember the year but I think it's 2003. No expectation for quality at all - just buy and bring it to large party, I thought.



We had a house-warming party last night an a friend's place. There were me and my friend who were not against red wine so I was a little reluctant to open it in case it was lemon. Man... it turned out to be an amazing wine even when you don't consider the price - medium-body, great taste, and super drinkable. Between two of us, we finished 2/3 of the bottle even before the appetizer was ready - it was duck foie gras brought directly from Paris. I absolutely enjoyed it since alcohol has turned off my sense of liver stinky smell.

Someone also brought 1.5L Yellow Tail Shiraz and we opened it. A few other people helped us on that bottle but I could tell that the toilet bowl at that place was quite purple last night ;)

4 comments:

kratai said...

Pokka rocks! LOL

Anonymous said...

Good. I'll try to find it here.

Chiantis and Riojas are the two that i haven't tried many of.

Too bad i just came back from Italasia this evening empty handed.

Most items they carry are >1,000.
But i did see some Magnums <1,000 though. They might have it.

Which shop should i go for Chianti?

Villa Market seems to have more Bordeaux and Aussie.

Pisit C said...

Hmm... No idea. I wasn't really into buying wine back there. Only two places I know are Villa and Foodland.

Oh... Actually my neighbor opened a business several years ago importing coffee, cigars, and wine from Italy. I'm not sure how he's doing but if you know who's the major distributor of Lavazza coffee, you may be able to track him down.

Anonymous said...

2003 is not a dry year in Italy. Try 1988, 1990 or 1995. If you dont like that, go to milk.
Lars